Thursday, September 22, 2011

Potato tower results


The potato tower was a failure.  I had beautiful yummy potatoes from those planted into the ground, but nothing in the tower when I dug it up.  As I went back and looked at the instructions, I see I have the wrong percentages of straw to compost.  But what potatoes we got were worth the effort.  I haven't had such delicious potatoes since those freshly dug Shafter Long Whites 'liberated' from a field this spring!

I planted 1 pound of seed potatoes that I bought from Cameron Park Nursery.  Yukon Golds.  I harvested 11 pounds, so that's a pretty average yield.   I"m going to try the tower again for the fall planting.  I've already ordered more seed potatoes and will get them into the ground in late October......nothing better than oven roasted potatoes that still smell of the dirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment